Saturday, November 12, 2011

Apoca-thumb!!!

Yesterday was November 11, 2011, a day that some considered, and possibly continue to consider, to be linked to some kind of global spiritual awakening, the beginning of the end of everything, or who knows what else. People the world over spent the night cowering in their houses or celebrating around bonfires. Me? I watched Friday Night Smackdown while eating Arby's. Business as usual.

Survivor Series is coming up, and to no one's surprise, Randy Orton announced last night that he will be leading a team. What did surprise me was that Wade Barrett will be leading the march against him, not Cody Rhodes. Now, don't get me wrong, I've been loving the "Barrett Barrage," and I'm thrilled that he'll have such a prominent role in this pay-per-view, but I find myself having to ask a question: What was the point of the Orton/Rhodes feud we've been following for weeks now? We know it wasn't leading up to an Intercontinental Title Match because, let's face it, what would Randy even want with the belt at this point? We're talking about a man whose career has soared to the heights of starring in K-Mart commercials, here.

At any rate, the match is scheduled to be Randy Orton, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Sin Cara, and Mason "Baby Batista" Ryan versus Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Christian, and Hunico, aka Not Sin Cara.

Last night we were also treated to a rematch between Mark Henry and all 107 pounds of Daniel Byran. The last time we saw these two face-off, we saw Bryan getting the life squashed out of him by Henry before The Big Show hit him with the W.M.D. and convinced Danny Boy to try his luck, cashing in his Money in the Bank briefcase on a seemingly unconscious World's Strongest Man. Although things didn't go according to The Big Show's plan, I liked what they did here; however, if it were up to me, I would have taken it a step further comically by having Show convince a dazed Bryan, who announced that he'll cash in the briefcase for a match at Wrestlemania, that he's been unconscious for months, and indeed, it was Wrestlemania and that he was just seconds away from beating Mark Henry for the Heavy Weight Championship. But what do I know? Other than good television, I mean.

While I'm not sure what role Daniel Bryan will play in Survivor Series, we can, of course, expect to see Mark Henry once again defend his Title against The Big Show. Personally, I'm hoping Henry will retain but have his victory cut short by the return of The Undertaker. After all, Wrestlemania isn't all that far away, and if Randy Orton and The Big Show can't get the job done, who's left to take the Title from Henry if not The Dead Man himself?

Moving on, the highlight of the night for me was the main event, which saw Wade Barrett and Randy Orton going one-on-one as the future leaders of their respective Survivor Series teams. This was another surprise for me. I was expecting to see a good back and forth before Orton landing the RKO, leading a vindictive Cory Rhodes to run out and either end the match in disqualification or, preferably, open Barrett up for a surprise Wasteland or even a roll-up victory. Instead, while the referee was momentarily distracted, we got a classic thumb to the eye from Wade with a successful pin to follow. I was in no way expecting to see a clean victory from him over Randy Orton this early in his career, and I love a good bit of cheating from a heel, so I nearly jumped out of my chair in excitement. It was a very satisfying ending, if you ask me and not Mr. Orton, who probably didn't care much for it.

Let's just see if Barrett can keep his comeback rolling in Survivor Series, and whether or not Captain Orton looks good in an eye patch, shall we, mateys?
photo via wwe.com
Survivor Series will take place November 20, 2011, and you can buy tickets on WWE's Live Tour site.

No comments:

Post a Comment